Black Pearl Neighborhood Snapshot
Census 2000 Data Tables: People & Household Characteristics, Housing & Housing Costs, Income & Poverty, Transportation, Employment, Educational Attainment, Immigration & Language, Disabilities, Neighborhood Characteristics
Black Pearl, so named in 1974 by city planners, is a sort of microcosm of New Orleans. Driving through it, one notices that Black Pearl has some surprisingly varied and interesting architecture for such a small triangle of land. The recently developed Uptown Square area provides several new community assets to the neighborhood. In fact, people have recently begun to call this neighborhood Uptown Triangle.
One resident, Richard McCarthy, had this to say about life in Black Pearl:
What kind of architecture can be found in Black Pearl?
Many large homes and apartment buildings line the St. Charles Ave. border of Black Pearl. Moving from St. Charles toward the river, one continues to see a number of large and elaborate structures, including one geodesic dome-shaped house.
The streets closest to the river are classic New Orleans: shotgun houses interspersed with corner stores and churches. This part of Black Pearl has been fertile ground for New Orleans indigenous musical talent. Mahalia Jackson whos gospel singing introduced Martin Luther Kings I Have a Dream speech in Washington D.C used to sing at Mount Moriah Baptist Church on Millaudon St. in Black Pearl.
What are some of the communitys assets?
Every afternoon, neighborhood children can be seen enjoying the George W. Carver playground and community center located in Black Pearl. Dog owner and joggers frequent the new path along the top of the levee that borders Black Pearl. Uptown Square, located at the tip of Black Pearl, offers the Tulane Family Health Center and the Lambeth House retirement community.
The Crescent City Farmers Market at Uptown Square (every Tuesday from 10:00 am 1:00 pm) offers residents soft shell crabs, mushrooms, pies, pasta, and the widest and freshest selection of seafood, fruits and vegetables direct from the food producer. The market has successfully attracted produce shoppers from around the city to Black Pearl and introduced them to surrounding businesses.
1938 WPA Bookbinding project
In the late 1930s the Works Progress Administration (WPA) engaged in a statewide bookbinding project. They hired hundreds of people to clean and rebind thousands of books.
At Benjamin Banneker public school in Black Pearl (then the McDonogh High School #24) 144 African American workers hired by the WPA refurbished more than 25,000 books.
Black Pearl used to be part of Carrollton
At one time Black Pearl was part of Carrollton, a suburb of New Orleans established around 1835. The New Orleans and Carrollton Railroad, which ferried commuters from Carrollton to New Orleans, was a significant contributor to the rapid growth of the area. Carrollton was incorporated by an Act of the legislature in 1845, and had an independent city government.
In 1853, the levee was built to protect Carrollton from the Mississippi River. In 1874, Carrollton was annexed to New Orleans and became the 7th District of New Orleans.
Black Pearl was sparsely populated until after New Orleans fell to Union troops early in the Civil War. Black Pearl historically was inhabited by both domestic workers and the affluent families for whom they worked.
sources of information
The Community Data Center website is a product of Greater New Orleans Nonprofit Knowledge Works. Copyright © 2000-2. All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: October 5, 2002