Plum Orchard Neighborhood Snapshot
Census 2000 Data Tables: People & Household Characteristics, Housing & Housing Costs, Income & Poverty, Transportation, Employment, Educational Attainment, Immigration & Language, Disabilities, Neighborhood Characteristics
Plum Orchard was one of the earlier neighborhoods developed in New Orleans East the most recent growth corridor of Orleans Parish.
A little bit of Plum Orchards history
Much of this area was originally cypress swamps with Bayou Sauvage running through it, until the mid-1800s when the bayou was filled to form Gentilly Road or Chef Menteur Highway as we know it today.
The land that is now Plum Orchard became the property of the Charles Temple family in 1884. In the 1940s, Plum Orchard Inc. and other small investors began subdividing the area along Chef Menteur Highway. The Plum Orchard Subdivision was dedicated in October 1946.
In the 1950s and early 1960s, substantial numbers of double and single-family homes were built in the area. Plum Orchard has 42.6% rental properties (Census 2000) with subdivisions such as Haydel Heights that are designated strictly for rental property.
Sisters of the Holy Family
One of the largest tracts of land in the neighborhood belongs to the Sisters of the Holy Family. This religious order was founded in 1841 by Henriette Delille, a free woman of color born in New Orleans. With a mission to assist the sick and dying and to catechize people of color, the Sisters founded a Catholic high school in New Orleans French Quarter in 1867 and named it St. Marys Academy. The motherhouse of the Sisters of the Holy Family and St. Marys Academy moved to their current location in the Plum Orchard neighborhood in 1965. Henriette Delille is the first U.S. native-born African American whose cause for canonization has been officially opened by the Catholic Church.
The Community Data Center website is a product of Greater New Orleans Nonprofit Knowledge Works. Copyright © 2000-2. All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: October 5, 2002